Skip to main content

Machaneh Bonim Yisrael


            For many Jewish teenagers, the “Israel trip” is a staple of growing up. Sometime in their teenage or college years, said Jew will partake in birthright or a similar trip to Israel, to visit the mother country. I was fortunate enough to go on my Israel trip in the summer of 2016 through Habonim Dror North America, my youth movement. During my 5-week trek across Israel, we visited deserts, mountains, seas, and cities. Also during my 5 weeks of Aliyah, my life changed for the better.
            It’s cliché and I hate saying it, but to put it any way would be an understatement. When I left for Israel, in late June of 2016, I was scared out of my mind. I was entering a new environment with new people. I knew only 10 out of the 100 people that were on the trip, and liked maybe 2 of the 10 that I already knew. As well as this, most of the people had taken their time to get to know each other before the trip, but I was entering as a stranger. The first few days were weird – I stuck to the people I knew, made a friend or two, but besides that, I was miserable. I was, as per usual, having trouble getting myself out there and getting to really know people and have them really know me – something I still struggle with. I’ve always had trouble being myself around people, and letting them in, and this was no different. This changed about 4 days into the trip, when a group of 4 people called me over to the bench they were sitting on. They didn’t mean to call me – they thought I was someone else. They let me sit with them though, and they were so easy-going; within minutes I could laugh with them and feel at ease. Now, I consider two of those four people some of my best friends in the world. From there, my confidence skyrocketed. I talked to more and more people, did my best to be myself, and it worked. I made friends at a (personally) unparalleled rate, and I felt the most at home I had ever felt before. Some of my favorite moments of the trip were:

  •  On the second to last night of the trip, we were at a new hostel for one day, and the room that I was assigned to had some of my least favorite people on the trip. One of my closest friends, whose room was neighboring mine, invited me into her and her roommates' room for the night, so that I wouldn't have to deal with my own room. 
  • Around the middle of the trip, we had a "night hike," in which we hiked through the desert under nothing but the stars and the moon. Me and the aforementioned friend spent the entire few miles of the trek together, and even though we barely spoke, it was probably the closest I've ever felt to somebody - the emotion was palpable. 
  • Rafsodia - me and my kvutzah, or my group of 20 people that I spent the entire trip with, built a raft out of barrels and wood, painted a sail, and sailed across the Kinerret. 
  • The trip to Yad Vashem was an extremely emotional time for everybody there, and I learned so much about my people's past and the holocaust, as well as bonding with friends whose families had been personally affected by it.
There are many more moments, too many for me to list or go into. But I left the trip a more confident and fulfilled person, and I still hold many of the friendships that I forged on the trip in my heart as my strongest and best relationships that I have to date. 

Comments

  1. Your experience does sound very life-changing and I'm glad that you became more confident and made some lifelong friends. I have never been night-hiking before nor have I ever been in a desert. Maybe one day. And the making a raft thing sounds super awesome, I looked up Lake Kinneret and it looks really beautiful. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWW I really love this blog post :) I like the description of the serene desert, and that natural connection you felt with your friend. I know this was a really special and life-changing experience for you, so it's nice to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Name

In class, we were asked to do a short writing on our name – ‘How do you feel about your name?’ I must admit, my relationship with my name is a complicated one, a “love-hate” relationship. On the love side of the metaphorical boxing ring, we have the uniqueness of “Jared.” I am happy to say that I have never met another Jared in my life. That means that I never have had the need to have a nickname, or go by my last name or initial. It may be simple, but it is something that I have always valued – the ability to be the only Jared in the room. When it comes to celebrities named Jared, there aren’t many – Jared Leto is one of the few that comes to mind. That means that I never have to deal with any jokes about my relation to a well-known figure, as I’m sure people with names such as “Harry” (Potter, Styles take your pick) have to. However, outweighing the pros, we have the con on the other side of the ring. The reason why I hate my name, is simply because I can’t pronounce it. I have be

Music and Me

I’ve played piano for 10+ years. I’ve gone through multiple teachers, and multiple styles. I’ve played both Classical and Jazz, and am enamored with both of them. When it comes to classical piano, we talk about my forte (pun intended). When playing classical music, I prefer to draw from the Romantic and Modern eras, where the music has more dynamics and fun turns about it, as opposed to the more restrictive classical and baroque eras, which bore me. Grieg is my favorite artist on the classical side of the border. I love how his music tells stories, mostly folk tales and stories about people from Norway. Grieg’s music, through its melodies and rustic soul, shows the passion and uniqueness of life in Norway, ranging from peasants dances to wedding marches. Currently, I’m working on his famous Concerto, and it is both my favorite and the hardest piece that I have ever played. I have been working on it for months, and most likely have months to go before it is perfected, but that effort a

Fasting

             Once again, I find myself writing my blog post the day that I am going to turn it in. This time, however, it is not out of necessity – I already have a blog post written. I’m delaying that one, and instead, this week, I am writing about Yom Kippur.             Yom Kippur, in my opinion, is the most important and holy Jewish holiday that there is. It is the Day of Atonement – you fast for 25 hours, attend temple for many of those hours. However, when you are not temple, there aren’t many things to do. On this Day of Atonement, I am not supposed to use any electronics, or play any frivolous games. Indeed, I am writing this blog post on a piece of paper with a pencil – a revolutionary idea – as I try not to waste my time today. When I fast, I am supposed to be able to reflect about my sins of the previous year with more clarity. That is indeed true. I believe that fasting is a very good portal to deep thought, and it has allowed me today to make many personal decisions and