Skip to main content

football.blg

            If you know me, you know that I’m an avid fan of soccer. I only started playing recently, but it’s quickly become my passion, and I also spend what could be considered and unhealthy amount of time watching professional soccer.
            I love playing soccer because it’s a really technically based sport, where you don’t have to be extremely strong or tall to excel – you only need to be devoted to practice, and being fast certainly doesn’t hinder you! I like the non-stop action, compared to other sports where there are long breaks like American football, or only some players are active at a time, like baseball. In soccer, all 11 players are constantly running, repositioning, and trying to break past the opposing defense. Playing soccer is something that I hope to do for the rest of my life, and I want to keep improving by playing in college and after college.

            When it comes to watching sports, I also think that soccer is at the pinnacle. Unlike other sports, soccer has no breaks, especially not ones implemented for commercials. The only breaks that happen are during halftime, and for the rest of the game there is constant action. As well as this, at a high level, the players are insanely skilled and watching them play is a true show of athleticism – you can tell that they’re professionals just from the way that they effortlessly handle the ball. When it comes to professional teams, I love to watch Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund, and Atletico Madrid, because they have very possession-minded game styles. Instead of trying to launch the ball forward and sneak past the defense, the teams are not afraid to pass the ball to their own defense, and slowly work their way up the field, until they can work and exploit a break in the opponent’s lines. Watching them play is especially entertaining because of the speed and accuracy in which the players pass the ball; they can make triangles and get around people with pinpoint accuracy. With Arsenal, my favorite team, this playstyle really shines through. Almost all buildup play comes from short passes. There isn’t much crossing and shooting from distance, instead, the play is concise and calculated, a style which has been aptly named “wenger-ball,” after the Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger. In the comments below, I’d love to hear opinions about soccer and other sports that you guys like – what appeals (or doesn’t appeal) to you about a specific sport?

Comments

  1. I have been playing Soccer for my whole life and I have never felt as strong to the sport that you do. I only saw it as a way to pass the time. I have never watched professional soccer and in fact find it rather boring. Actually I have never been fully dedicated to watching any professional sport. The only football game I watch is the super bowl. I would rather be playing than watching. NIce POst

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I agree with you that soccer definitely offers more athleticism and the less choppy pace of the action is nice as well, I think there's an argument to be made for American football, with all its commercialization and start-stop flow. I, personally, like football, because I think it's the most strategic out of any sport and more of a team sport than soccer or basketball. Every person on the field has to be accounting for 10 other players in completely different positions from them. The fact that each position is super specialized means that no single player is ever going to be able to carry the team. Also, here in the states, we like scoring more than once in a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that sports watching and playing are totally subjective things and there's not necessarily an argument to be made for which is better or worse to watch than others. But I personally like watching soccer just because I can appreciate it more because I understand the game well from playing. I also like that there aren't any commercial breaks, but I think that's just because I get bored when there are. I will say one thing on my opinion of player skill/intelligence: I think that a lot of sports take a certain kind of intelligence but one thing I like about soccer is because there aren't many breaks, the game relies a lot more on overall player intelligence than coach intelligence (although that's not to say sports that rely on coach intelligence are bad sports). Again, these are all just my opinions, and I am certainly not saying that one sport is better than another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very very bad at soccer, but that just gives me more respect for the people who play it professionally. I agree with you completely-- I think soccer is the most fun sport to watch because something is always happening, and the way the players maneuver the ball just looks so cool. But then again, soccer is the only super popular sport I've participated in, so it's also the only sport where I actually sort of understand what's going on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the greatest thing about soccer like you said is not only enjoying the game and being good at it, but immersing yourself in worldwide culture of the game. There are so many different ways to enjoy the game from watching games of your favorite teams like you mentioned, to kicking around with your friends on the weekends. Of course, every other sport has this as well, but in my opinion, the amount of passion and excitement soccer fans have for their respective teams is unmatched by any other sport, and that's what makes it so great.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Name

In class, we were asked to do a short writing on our name – ‘How do you feel about your name?’ I must admit, my relationship with my name is a complicated one, a “love-hate” relationship. On the love side of the metaphorical boxing ring, we have the uniqueness of “Jared.” I am happy to say that I have never met another Jared in my life. That means that I never have had the need to have a nickname, or go by my last name or initial. It may be simple, but it is something that I have always valued – the ability to be the only Jared in the room. When it comes to celebrities named Jared, there aren’t many – Jared Leto is one of the few that comes to mind. That means that I never have to deal with any jokes about my relation to a well-known figure, as I’m sure people with names such as “Harry” (Potter, Styles take your pick) have to. However, outweighing the pros, we have the con on the other side of the ring. The reason why I hate my name, is simply because I can’t pronounce it. I have be

Music and Me

I’ve played piano for 10+ years. I’ve gone through multiple teachers, and multiple styles. I’ve played both Classical and Jazz, and am enamored with both of them. When it comes to classical piano, we talk about my forte (pun intended). When playing classical music, I prefer to draw from the Romantic and Modern eras, where the music has more dynamics and fun turns about it, as opposed to the more restrictive classical and baroque eras, which bore me. Grieg is my favorite artist on the classical side of the border. I love how his music tells stories, mostly folk tales and stories about people from Norway. Grieg’s music, through its melodies and rustic soul, shows the passion and uniqueness of life in Norway, ranging from peasants dances to wedding marches. Currently, I’m working on his famous Concerto, and it is both my favorite and the hardest piece that I have ever played. I have been working on it for months, and most likely have months to go before it is perfected, but that effort a

Fasting

             Once again, I find myself writing my blog post the day that I am going to turn it in. This time, however, it is not out of necessity – I already have a blog post written. I’m delaying that one, and instead, this week, I am writing about Yom Kippur.             Yom Kippur, in my opinion, is the most important and holy Jewish holiday that there is. It is the Day of Atonement – you fast for 25 hours, attend temple for many of those hours. However, when you are not temple, there aren’t many things to do. On this Day of Atonement, I am not supposed to use any electronics, or play any frivolous games. Indeed, I am writing this blog post on a piece of paper with a pencil – a revolutionary idea – as I try not to waste my time today. When I fast, I am supposed to be able to reflect about my sins of the previous year with more clarity. That is indeed true. I believe that fasting is a very good portal to deep thought, and it has allowed me today to make many personal decisions and